Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Song I'm Loving Today

It's true. K and E have worked their magic on me, and now I am a qualified fan of Beyonce and Rihanna. I already knew I had some secret Beyonce adoration, but Rihanna is a new one, and I'm totally in love with some of her songs now! I say qualified, though, because they have a fair number of songs that I still don't like, but I now need two hands to count their songs that I do like. So. Yay?

Anyway, since this all sort of happened in a batch, I thought I'd put up my current loves, along with a favorite section of the lyrics. So, here goes, in no particular order other than what is stated:

Russian Roulette (Rihanna) - my current Rihanna fave, followed closely by Take a Bow



And then I get a scary thought
That he's here means he's never lost.

And you can see my heart beating
Oh, you can see it through my chest,
That I'm terrified, but I'm not leaving
Know that I must pass this test.


If I Were A Boy (Beyonce) - a great slightly mind-bending video



If I were a boy
I think I could understand
How it feels to love a girl,
I swear I'd be a better man.

I'd listen to her
'Cause I know how it hurts
When you lose the one you wanted
'Cause he's taking you for granted
And everything you had got destroyed.

...

But you're just a boy,
You don't understand,
Yeah, you don't understand, oh
How it feels to love a girl
Someday you'll wish you were a better man.

You don't listen to her,
You don't care how it hurts
Until you lose the one you wanted
'Cause you'd taken her for granted
And everything you had got destroyed.

But you're just a boy.


Take a Bow (Rihanna)



But you put on quite a show,
Really had me going.
Now it's time to go,
Curtain's finally closing.

That was quite a show,
Very entertaining.
But it's over now (but it's over now),
Go on and take a bow.



Irreplaceable (Beyonce) - yes, still.



So since I'm not your everything,
How about I'll be nothing, nothing at all to you?
Baby, I won't shed a tear for you.
I won't lose a wink of sleep,
Because the truth of the matter is
Replacing you is so easy.

To the left, to the left,
To the left, to the left,
To the left, to the left,
Everything you own in a box to the left,
To the left, to the left,
Don't you ever for a second get to thinking you're irreplaceable.


Run This Town (Rihanna)



Life's a game but it's not fair,
I break the rules so I don't care.
So I keep doing my own thing,
Walkin' tall against the rain.


Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) (Beyonce)



Let's face it, there are really no earth-shattering lyrics in this song. The title says it all. But that in no way should be interpreted as a fact that diminishes the song's overall fabulousness. But if I had to pick one phrase it would be this, from the bridge:

Say I'm the one you want.
If you don't, you'll be alone,
And like a ghost, I'll be gone.


Unfaithful (Rihanna)



Story of my life
Searching for the right
But it keeps avoiding me.

Sorrow in my soul
'Cause it seems that wrong
Really loves my company.


Flaws and All (Beyonce) - I'm not a huge fan of the musical qualities of this song, but I love the idea of it.



I'm a puzzle, yes indeed,
Ever complex in every way,
All the pieces aren't even in the box,
And yet you see the picture clear as day.

I don't know why you love me,
And that's why I love you.
You catch me when I fall,
Accept me flaws and all,
And that's why I love you.

I neglect you when I'm working,
When I need attention, I tend to nag,
I'm a host of imperfection,
And you see past all that.

I'm a peasant by some standards,
But in your eyes I'm a queen.
You see potential in all my flaws,
And that's exactly what I need.


I'm sure I've omitted some of their other good songs, because this is all new to me. K and E will help fill in the gaps, I'm sure.

1 comment: