Saturday, August 14, 2010

Breckenridge, Day 2

I went to bed very early last night. Probably 9:00, I would guess. Which was good, because T got me up at 6:30 to go fishing.


We went to the Arkansas River, or the Ark, as the locals call it. Our first fishing spot required a stroll across some dude's ranch land, right through the middle of his herd of cows. I'm pretty sure cows don't know how to fish, as they are possibly the stupidest animals on Earth, but I'm also pretty sure they were judging my fishing ability. And they were right to, because I did not do well there.

After about 3 hours or 4 hours of no luck, we hopped back into the car and went to a different spot on the river. No cows here, but we were in for another lovely stroll down the railroad tracks. Apparently railroad tracks, highways, and rivers are a natural threesome around here, due to ease of construction of the former two along the latter. At the second spot we did better. Had quantifiable success, you might say: I caught two brown trout and Dad caught one, although I only had one other strike and he had about four (but a couple of those were at the first spot). As we kept working, the wind started to pick up, so that was the end of the fishing day for us. Plus it was lunch time.


We stopped a very odd and old little bar in Leadville called the Pastime. It was dark and dirty, but had lots of Oriental decorations - a bamboo (or at least bamboo-themed) bar, Chinese statuary, paper lanterns, etc. Oh, and a giant poster of Marilyn Monroe looking down on us while we ate. And a high-tech touch-screen jukebox (how many things are wrong with what I just said? Jukeboxes are not supposed to be either of those things.) that would periodically play songs of its own accord. But the burger was good, as was the Blue Moon, although I had to go back out to the car for my fishing license to prove I was old enough to drink. (That's three people now who've thought I was way young - one even thought I was in high school!)

On our way back (actually, also on the way out, but I'm talking about it now, because this is when I got pictures), we passed by the Climax Mine, which mined molybdenum in its day. It's not in operation right now; they had apparently started the process of getting the whole operation going again, but then the economy tanked. Molybdenum is used in making steel alloys, so when manufacturing of all sorts screeched to a halt a couple years ago, the demand for molybdenum went through the floor. The same people who own the Climax Mine, Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold, also own Henderson Mine, which mines molybdenum too. It's still in operation, and apparently providing all we need.

The Climax Mine facility

Check out the difference in colors - the yellowish area just above the trees has been mined, while the gray in the background is natural rock

Wider view of the facility

Also on the way back we discussed the sad story of the Pine Bark Beetle. They are attacking pine trees all over the western US, sometimes leaving whole hillsides covered with nothing but dead or dying trees. I didn't get any good pics of the really bad hills, though we did see some on the drive, especially closer to Frisco.


After showering and hitting up the liquor and grocery stores, Dad made a delish dinner consisting of seared venison loin with berry sauce, roasted potatoes with rosemary, and roasted asparagus. And we had some tasty wine that we (okay, really he) picked up at the liquor store. And you will never believe what I found at the grocery store! Wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles, they had Graeter's ice cream!! Dad had to good sense to point out that City Market here is owned by Kroger, which is headquartered in Cincinnati. Anyway, I got Black Raspberry Chip, and I had some for dessert.



And I have pictures from today because we took T's camera along!

In Frisco: how very Colorado!

No comments:

Post a Comment